Coosa Lodge History
The Order of the Arrow was founded by Dr. E. Urner Goodman and Carroll A. Edson in 1915 at the Treasure Island Camp of the Philadelphia Council, Boy Scouts of America. It became an official program experiment in 1922 and was approved as part of the Scouting program in 1934. In 1948 the OA, recognized as the BSA’s national brotherhood of honor campers, became an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. In 1998, the Order of the Arrow became recognized as Scouting’s National Honor Society when it expanded its reach beyond camping to include broader service to Scouting and the community.
Coosa Lodge was formed as a result of the merger of three councils into the Greater Alabama Council. In accordance with national policy, the three lodges associated with these councils also merged. The three lodges were Cherokee Lodge #50 (Central Alabama Council; Birmingham, AL), Achunanchi Lodge #135 (Choccolocco Council; Anniston, AL), and Kaskanampoo Lodge #310 (Tennessee Valley Council; Huntsville, AL). Coosa Lodge received its first charter on January 1, 2000. Since then, Coosa Lodge has defined its own history and accomplishments. This section of our website is an ever-growing catalog of that history and those accomplishments.
Since 2000, Coosa Lodge and its members have been recognized on all levels of Order of the Arrow, from section to national. Our lodge has recognized nearly 200 Vigil Honor recipients, awarded 46 members with the Founder’s Award, has had 3 Distinguished Service Award recipients, and has been recognized for its shows committee, Coosa Shows on the national level.